Sr. Mechanical Engineer
nLIGHT is searching for an Sr Mechanical Engineer to be a subject matter leader within a multidisciplinary team focused on the design, documentation, and release to production of high power solid state lasers and laser systems.
- Lead mechanical design efforts in the development of new laser systems and products
- Work within the development team to help define user interfaces, overall system layouts, product requirements, and cost objectives
- Apply DFX and other design principals to create manufacturing-friendly, cost-optimized solutions that meet or exceed the functional design goals
- Plan and execute design verification test protocols including environmental and accelerated life testing
- Adapt established and innovative low-cost manufacturing concepts to laser product designs
- Oversee and participate in the procurement and assembly of engineering and prototype builds
- Devise, design and build robust tooling and process equipment suitable for reliable high-volume manufacturing
- Minimum of BS degree in mechanical engineering or comparable and at least 7 years of experience in a mechanical engineering role.
- Experience with various manufacturing techniques – machining, sheet metal, injection molding, etc.
- Strong ability to conduct engineering analyses including heat transfer, thermal modeling, stress/strain behavior, and materials selection
- Detailed understanding of machining tools, methods and capabilities
- Proficiency with SolidWorks and engineering drawing practices including tolerance analysis and working understanding and ability to apply GD&T per ANSI Y14.5M
- Candidate shall be highly organized and detail-oriented with clear and professional written and oral communication skills
Exceptional candidates will have
- Development experience with high-power laser and optical assemblies.
- Detailed understanding of precision opto-mechanical design and fine mechanisms
- Experience with fiber optics, optical adhesives, solder attach, and/or semiconductor packaging
- Proficiency with ANSYS analysis software
- Experience managing other engineers and directing their day-to-day activities
- Experienced with New Product Introduction (NPI) and product qualification practices.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
nLIGHT is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including protected veterans and people with disabilities. For more information, please see the EEO is the Law poster from the federal government: dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf and Poster Supplement dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing vertically integrated supplier of high-performance lasers that enable innovation in materials processing, microelectronics and defense applications. nLIGHT develops and manufactures fiber lasers based on industry-leading semiconductor laser and optical fiber technology. nLIGHT is headquartered in Vancouver, Washington with additional sites in North America, Asia and Europe. nLIGHT lasers are not only changing the way things are made, but what can be made. Apply for this position