Product Development Engineer, Components
Technical leadership of all aspects of product development of laser components, from concept through production. An opportunity to influence next generation laser diode component product designs for high performance and reliability and develop engineering and program management skills. You will work with cross-functional teams across the organization to meet schedule and budget. The successful candidate must be a green card holder or US citizen.
- Lead the technical development of diode laser-based packages from concept into production phase, providing leadership to teams.
- Develop and optimizing designs while meeting performance, reliability and schedule requirements. Develop and document IP through novel packaging designs and assembly methods
- Utilize DFSS concepts including DOE and FMEA, Monte-Carlo analysis throughout development process to influence designs and achieve optimized results.
- Work with multifunctional teams to develop custom assembly equipment, including optical, mechanical, and software.
- Characterize optical assemblies and provide feedback to the team with written and verbal technical reports.
- Create product requirements, specifications and supporting technical documentation (BOMS, qualification reports, product characterization summaries, assembly instructions Gauge R&R studies, CpK Analysis, etc.)
- Validate the manufacture ability of new designs by identifying critical manufacturing tolerances and the process steps that lead to a viable process capability
- Develop qualification test schedules that include environmental testing, accelerated aging, and design margin assessment by testing to failure
- Train personnel on assembly, inspection, test and failure analysis methods
- Collaborate with product managers and product engineers to identify technology gaps and product deficiencies, and provide roadmaps for closure
- Perform line and equipment capacity modeling, and make new equipment purchase recommendations.
- Review designs for manufacturability, and recommend and implement changes.
- Conduct process validation, capability, and gauge studies.
- Implement product BOMs and routings in Manufacturing Execution System.
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities for yield, performance, and costs.
- Provide failure mode analysis in a timely fashion and make recommendations based on FA.
- Provide procurement support, recommendation and qualification for new and existing designs.
- Establish training criteria and implement training of manufacturing and technical staff.
- Present information throughout organization in written and oral reports to all levels within nLight
- 5+ years industry experience, which must include a track record of taking product designs from concept to volume production
- MS or PhD in Material Science Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or similar filed
- High reliability laser packaging and opto-mechanical design experience
- Flux-free package assembly experience
- Product and process development experience, including DOE and DFSS
- Thorough knowledge of laser diode optics and fiber coupling methods.
- 7+ years laser direct industry experience.
- In-depth, practical knowledge of epoxy types and applications.
- High volume (>10,000/yr) experience in a manufacturing environment
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing vertically integrated supplier of high-performance lasers that enable innovation in materials processing, microelectronics and defense applications. nLIGHT develops and manufactures fiber lasers based on industry-leading semiconductor laser and optical fiber technology. nLIGHT is headquartered in Vancouver, Washington with additional sites in North America, Europe, and Asia. We're committed to working together to deliver breakthrough solutions that help our customers innovate and grow.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
nLIGHT is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including protected veterans and people with disabilities. For more information, please see the EEO is the Law poster from the federal government: dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf Apply for this position