Principal Investigator Advanced Technology Semiconductor LasersSummary
Develop next-generation laser programs. Lead cross-functional team to identify and execute programs to ensure nLIGHT’s continued industry leading technology position. Ensure alignment to nLight’s short-term product and long-term technology roadmaps.
- Contribute to cross-functional development teams to deliver innovative lasers.
- Apply theoretical and experimental understanding of lasers and optics to develop next generation of commercial lasers.
- Manage BAA program process including identification of opportunities and program proposal/execution.
- Project planning and resource allocation to ensure successful technical, financial, and schedule execution of R&D programs.
- Provide mentorship to junior engineers and scientists throughout the company.
- Document and present designs, processes, and results for internal design reviews, external program reviews, and academic conferences / industrial trade shows
- Manage continuously funded technological probes supporting 3 to 5 year roadmaps.
- 4+ year experience in high power laser industry doing R&D
- PhD in Optical Physics, Physics or Material Sciences.
- Hands on experience with design and development of next generation of semiconductor lasers and amplifiers.
- Strong knowledge of optical properties of III-V semiconductors and laser diodes.
- Experience with laser diode epitaxy, fabrication, thermal management and testing.
- Experience with phenomenological and physics-based (FDTD/FEM) simulation, design-of-experiment (DOE) methodology and statistics-based data analysis in support of R&D programs.
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills, including problem identification, data analysis, action planning, and execution.
- Strong theoretical and experimental understanding of lasers and optics.
- Ability to summarize and present results and conclusions clearly and effectively.
- Ability to work as both a leader and a contributor.
- Project planning and resource allocation to ensure the successful technical, financial, and schedule execution of R&D programs.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, demonstrated ability to break complex problems into manageable tasks.
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing vertically integrated supplier of high-performance lasers that enable innovation in materials processing, defense, and medical applications. nLIGHT develops and manufactures direct diode and fiber lasers based on industry-leading semiconductor laser and optical fiber technology. nLIGHT is headquartered in Vancouver, Washington with additional sites in North America, Europe, and Asia. We're committed to working together to deliver breakthrough solutions that help innovate and grow our customers' needs.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
nLIGHT is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including protected veterans and people with disabilities. For more information, please see the EEO is the Law poster from the federal government:dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf Apply for this position