Component Product Engineer
The Product Engineering group drives NPI (New Product Introduction) activities with associated costs, schedule, and performance to enable next-generation product realization at nLIGHT. The preferred candidate will be highly motivated with an excellent track record of performance and innovation as well as be passionate about developing and producing best in class laser products.
- Complete NPI design-oriented activities, including specifications, product/design FMEAs, DFX, qualification plans, drawings, test requirements, etc.
- Understand all technical details of products – ranging from initial designs to volume production issues.
- Collaborate with development and manufacturing engineer teams to determine development and build schedules
- Work with finance to estimate project costs including ROIs and establish product costs through detailed yielded BOMs.
- Support Sales and Product Line Managers to cultivate customer relationships and establish broad understanding of customer applications and associated product use.
- Work with buyer/planners to identify key vendor engagement regarding BOM costs, material cost reduction targets, vendor qualification, design trades, and deliver of pre-pilot products.
- Lead improvements in reliability based on FA of external RMAs and internal NCMs establishing root cause failures and appropriate corrective actions.
- Review production data with Process Engineering (e.g., yield, cycle time, DL hours) across entire MFG process to facilitate continual improvement plans.
- Collaborate with development and marketing on product roadmaps that promote the investigation and application of new technologies to meet forecasted industry demands.
- Ensures products meet cost targets, performance specifications, expected reliability, and quality goals.
- Assist in development of systems to maintain reports and record the company’s product/process data.
- Establish disciplined Six Sigma (DMAIC, SPC, DOE, Gage R&R, etc.) approach to improvement and use 8 Disciplines of problem solving or equivalent tools to manage engineering activities.
- Manage multiple projects with multi-disciplinary indirectly reporting team members.
- BS or MS in Physics, Quantum Electronics, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or similar discipline
- Excellent listening and collaboration skills.
- Skilled at writing and presenting to effectively communicate concepts to both internal and external customers.
- Attention to detail and an ability to absorb and assimilate information rapidly.
- Solving complex problems in multi-dimensional spaces.
- Highly organized with the ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment.
- Computer Skills – Visual Basic, MS Excel, PDM, MS Word, SQL, Axapta, etc.
- Experience with fiber lasers and diode pumped solid state lasers useful.
- Familiarity with a wide variety of materials and processes to best achieve the design goals and product specifications.
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing vertically integrated supplier of high-performance lasers that enable innovation in materials processing, defense, and medical applications. nLIGHT develops and manufactures direct diode and fiber lasers based on industry-leading semiconductor laser and optical fiber technology. nLIGHT is headquartered in Vancouver, Washington with additional sites in North America, Europe, and Asia. We're committed to working together to deliver breakthrough solutions that help innovate and meet our customers' needs.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including protected veterans and people with disabilities. For more information, please see the EEO is the Law poster from the Federal Government: dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
Apply for this position