Laser Applications Technician
nLIGHT is seeking an experienced Laser Applications Technician to join our team. This individual will be responsible for building, maintaining, and using high precision, state-of-the art laser processing equipment applying nLIGHT’s fiber laser products. This role provides insights to the sales and marketing team, product engineering team, and the R&D team on how the fiber lasers perform for various industrial applications including cutting, welding, additive manufacturing, and advanced applications.
- Demonstration and applications processing development at nLIGHT and customer locations.
- Construction, set up & operation of CNC laser welding / cutting equipment for customer application testing.
- Documentation of test results in electronic reports with MS Office
- Examination, analysis and presentation of processing results and generation of marketing collateral in multiple formats such as photos, video, and metrology equipment results.
- Responsible for maintenance and development of lab equipment.
- Assisting in administrative tasks related to the Applications laboratory, including managing material and part stock, tooling, customer sample storage.
- High School diploma or GED required
- Associates degree – Electronics, Electro-Mech, Electro-Optic, Engineering, a plus
- Hands-on experience with industrial machine tools and demonstrated ability to set up, program, fixture, and execute machining/fabrication jobs efficiently.
- Ability to assemble or repair complex and delicate mechanical fixtures by hand and with power tools.
- Experience reading mechanical drawings, interpreting dimensional tolerances, designing basic tooling and fixtures, using basic math skills, and evaluating parts with precision measurement tools.
- Meticulous attention to detail and ability work methodically.
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in a fast-paced team environment.
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel up to 15%
- Good eye- hand coordination.
- Good manual dexterity.
- Ability to stand up to 10 hours/day.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. several times per day.
- 3-5 years of experience in a similar role
- Experience with G-code and robot programming languages: Fanuc, KUKA, ABB, etc.
- Experience viewing, modifying, or creating CAD models in SolidWorks, CATIA, AutoCAD, or similar
- Operation and testing of high-power lasers or optical equipment is preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of optics, fibers, laser diodes, and laser test equipment.
- Proficiency with test and measurement equipment such as oscilloscopes and digital multimeters.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
nLIGHT is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including protected veterans and people with disabilities. For more information, please see the EEO is the Law poster from the federal government: dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing vertically integrated supplier of high-performance lasers that enable innovation in materials processing, defense, and medical applications. nLIGHT develops and manufactures direct diode and fiber lasers based on industry-leading semiconductor laser and optical fiber technology. nLIGHT is headquartered in Vancouver, Washington with additional sites in North America, Europe, and Asia. We're committed to working together to deliver breakthrough solutions that help innovate and grow our customers' needs. Apply for this position