Fiber Laser Product Engineer
Involved in all aspects of product life cycle including system architecture, performance metrics, costs, and schedules to enable product realization of next-generation at nLIGHT. The preferred candidate will be highly motivated with an excellent track record of performance and innovation in photonics as well as bring their passion in developing and producing world class semiconductor lasers products.
- Define NPI (New Product Introduction) system architectures, design-oriented elements, including specifications, product/design FMEAs, DFX, qualification plans, drawings, test requirements, etc.
- Manage complex tradeoffs that span multiple functional areas to realize the best possible product
- Focus on all technical details of products – ranging from initial designs to volume production issues to end of life management.
- Collaborate with development and manufacturing engineer teams to determine development and build schedules.
- Work with finance to estimate project costs including ROIs and establish product costs through detailed yielded BOMs.
- Support Sales and Product Line Managers to cultivate customer relationships and establish broad understanding of customer applications and product use.
- Work with buyer/planners to identify key vendor engagement regarding BOM costs, material cost reduction targets, vendor qualifications, and piece part design trade-offs.
- Lead improvements in reliability based on FA of external RMAs and internal NCMs establishing root cause failures and appropriate corrective actions.
- Review production data (e.g., yield, cycle time, DL hours, BOM cost) across entire MFG process to facilitate continual improvement plans.
- Collaborate on product roadmaps that promote the investigation and application of new technologies to meet forecasted industry demands.
- Ensures shipped products meet cost, performance specifications, reliability, and quality goals.
- BS or MS in Physics, Systems Engineering, Optical Engineering, Quantum Electronics, Electrical Engineering or similar discipline
- 5 years of commercial/industrial laser industry experience
- Program and Project Management competency
- The ability to coordinate teams across organizational boundaries and work within a matrix organization
- Excellent communication, listening and collaboration skills
- Attention to detail and an ability to absorb and assimilate information rapidly
- Ability to solve complex problems in high order multi-dimensional spaces
- Direct optical, Laser, Mechanical, and/or Electrical design experience is preferred.
- Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt is preferred
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
nLIGHT is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including protected veterans and people with disabilities. For more information, please see the EEO is the Law poster from the federal government: dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing vertically integrated supplier of high-performance lasers that enable innovation in materials processing, defense, and medical applications. nLIGHT develops and manufactures direct diode and fiber lasers based on industry-leading semiconductor laser and optical fiber technology. nLIGHT is headquartered in Vancouver, Washington with additional sites in North America, Europe, and Asia. We're committed to working together to deliver breakthrough solutions that help innovate and grow our customers' needs. Apply for this position