Senior Field Applications Engineer (Laser Welding Specialist)
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing vertically integrated supplier of high-performance lasers that enable innovation in materials processing, microelectronics and defense applications. nLIGHT develops and manufactures fiber lasers based on industry-leading semiconductor laser and optical fiber technology. nLIGHT is headquartered in Vancouver, Washington with additional sites in North America, Asia and Europe. nLIGHT lasers are not only changing the way things are made, but what can be made.
The Field Applications Engineer is a senior-level engineering role supporting and troubleshooting metal laser welding with nLIGHT fiber lasers on our customers’ automated welding systems. This role requires a minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar engineering function, ideally in an industrial environment. Field Applications Engineer will be responsible for supporting external customers, assisting new sales opportunities, collecting market feedback, and cooperating with product design teams. This role requires excellent communication and strong interpersonal skills to build productive internal and external working relationships. Expected growth areas for this role are advancing expertise in technical subspecialty, individual ownership of laser welding process support for specific key integrators, involvement in new business development for strategic opportunities, and developing new solutions for high-power laser welding of metals in collaboration with our product development teams.
- Direct interfacing with customers via phone/email to assist in the optimization of laser welding equipment and parameters using nLIGHT’s fiber lasers.
- Troubleshoot fielded laser installations onsite at end-user or integrator facilities including optimization of weld penetration, weld speed, appearance, and customer-specific weld quality metrics.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on the operation and integration of nLIGHT lasers in sales discussions with new potential customers either remotely via phone/email or onsite at customer facilities.
- Conduct laser welding projects at nLIGHT applications labs for new customer application requests, customer demonstrations, collaboration with system integrators, technical conferences, and marketing case studies.
- Design, specify, and build laser welding fixtures and tooling for customer-specific applications projects for a variety of alloys and industrial markets.
- Assist customers with developing laser welding solutions to meet their project-specific performance requirements for medium (1-3kW) or high-power (4-15kW) laser welding, based on prior experience, application feasibility demonstrations, and industry best practices.
- Collect external customer feedback on the overall user experience of operating and integrating our lasers to summarize market input for our product development teams.
- Present results and findings to groups of customers or applications partners including audiences of novices, technical experts, or executive management.
- Represent the nLIGHT brand with technical confidence in laser welding expertise and with a dedication to customer satisfaction both before the sale and over the life of our products.
- Support new and existing customers and system partners with expertise by phone/email or onsite at the customer facility.
- Build productive working relationships with external partners and internal nLIGHT colleagues.
- Up to 50% travel (domestic and international) to new business development meetings, onsite customer machine design discussions, installation support, and troubleshooting of fielded systems.
- Minimum BS engineering degree or equivalent experience, welding engineering or welding technology education is preferred
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a similar laser welding role
- Experience operating and troubleshooting industrial laser welding systems is required, high-power fiber laser experience >6kW is a plus.
- Experience programming industrial robots: Fanuc, KUKA, ABB, Yaskawa, etc.
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities in high-stress, down-production situations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for customer communication and technical presentations.
- Prioritizes customer satisfaction and has a proven track record of managing customer interactions to exceed expectations.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple concurrent project schedules with critical technical deliverables.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net.
Apply for this position