Sr. Product Development Engineer
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing vertically integrated supplier of high-performance lasers that enable innovation in materials processing, microelectronics and defense applications. nLIGHT develops and manufactures fiber lasers based on industry-leading semiconductor laser and optical fiber technology. nLIGHT is headquartered in Vancouver, Washington with additional sites in North America, Asia and Europe. nLIGHT lasers are not only changing the way things are made, but what can be made.
Technical leadership of all aspects of product development of laser components, from concept through production. An opportunity to influence next generation laser diode component product designs for high performance and reliability, and to develop engineering and program management skills.
- Lead the technical development of diode laser-based packages from concept into production phase, providing leadership to cross-functional teams.
- Develop and optimize designs while meeting performance, cost, reliability and schedule requirements. Develop and document IP through novel packaging designs and assembly methods.
- Utilize DFSS concepts including DOE and FMEA, Monte-Carlo analysis throughout development process to influence designs and achieve optimized results.
- Work with multifunctional teams to develop custom assembly equipment, including optical, mechanical, and software.
- Characterize optical assemblies and provide feedback to the team with written and verbal technical reports, and recommendations for path forward.
- Create product requirements, specifications and supporting technical documentation (BOMS, qualification reports, product characterization summaries, assembly instructions Gauge R&R studies, CpK Analysis, etc.)
- Validate the manufacturability of new designs by identifying critical manufacturing tolerances and the process steps that lead to a viable process capability.
- Develop qualification test schedules that include environmental testing, accelerated aging, and design margin assessment by testing to failure.
- Collaborate with product managers and product engineers to identify technology gaps and product deficiencies and provide roadmaps for closure.
- Perform line and equipment capacity modeling, and make new equipment purchase recommendations.
- Conduct process validation, capability, and gauge studies.
- Present information in written and oral reports to all levels within nLight.
- 9+ years relevant industry experience, which must include a track record of taking product designs from concept to volume production.
- MS Material Science Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or similar filed.
- High reliability laser packaging and opto-mechanical design experience.
- Process Development experience, including DOE and DFSS.
- Thorough knowledge of laser diode optics and fiber coupling methods.
- In-depth, practical knowledge of epoxy types and applications is preferred.
- High volume (>10,000/yr) experience in a manufacturing environment is preferred.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net. Apply for this position