Sr. Mechanical Engineer
nLIGHT is searching for a Mechanical Engineer to work within and/or drive a multidisciplinary team to design, document and test stable, high tolerance laser and optical assemblies, define user interfaces and overall system layouts.
- Adapt established and innovative low cost manufacturing concepts to laser product designs
- Devise, design and build robust tooling and process equipment suitable for reliable high volume manufacturing
- Define user interfaces and overall system layouts
- Execute verification test protocols that include environmental and accelerated life testing
- Oversee the procurement of engineering and prototype parts
- Minimum of BS degree in mechanical engineering.
- Experience with low cost, high quality manufacturing techniques. Ideal candidates will have a history of adapting technologies from other industries to lower-volume manufacturing models
- Strong ability to conduct engineering analyses including heat transfer, thermal modeling, stress/strain behavior, materials selection
- Background of machinery and product design
- Detailed understanding of machining tools, methods and capabilities
- Exceptional candidates will have:
- 5 years of development experience with high-power laser and optical assemblies.
- Detailed understanding of precision opto mechanical design and fine mechanisms
- Experience with optical adhesives
- Proficiency with Solidworks and engineering drawing practices including tolerance analysis and working understanding of GD&T
- Candidate shall be highly organized and detail-oriented with clear and professional written and oral communication skills
- Experienced with New Product Introduction (NPI) and product qualification practices.
nLIGHT manufactures high-power semiconductor lasers that are used in industrial, defense, medical, and consumer electronics applications. With global operations in Vancouver, WA, Hillsboro, OR, Shanghai, China, and Lohja, Finland, nLIGHT has grown on average over 30%/yr since being founded in 2000.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State. Apply for this position
Equal Opportunity Employer, including protected veterans and people with disabilities. For more information, please see the EEO is the Law poster from the federal government: dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf